Friday, September 7, 2007

Grocery Shopping

I took the kids to Meijer today. I was armed with list and a plan.

My total bill came to $110.73. Which you will notice is more than the $105 we are alloted. However, I had $39.22 worth of non food items listed on my receipt. After removing these my total is:

$71.51

What I did differently:

I bought a lot of dried beans. Normally I buy canned because of the convenience, but there is no doubt dried is a better value.

The only prepared food we bought was crackers. I couldn't possibly ask Paul to give up crackers.

I selected chicken drumsticks for $.79 a pound, passing by the boneless, skinless breasts at $4.79

I bought the Paula Red Apples instead of gala, because they were cheaper.

And I bought a smaller selection of vegetables, although not a smaller quantity. For instance, generally I might have bought a small package of spinach and broccoli. This time I bought a large package of spinach. I will have to sneak spinach into almost every meal this week to use it all. But if we don't use it, I can always freeze some.

And lastly, I didn't buy myself a drink in the checkout lane even though I was really thirsty. And I said no to all impulse buys. The only "junk" I bought was the diet sprite I got for Paul's father, who will be in town this weekend.

No comments: