Monday, September 24, 2007

Grocery Shopping Week #3

So Friday was grocery day, but I didn't manage to get the facts posted. I will post an estimate synopsis of our spending for this week. I don't have receipts on hand though, so I will have to estimate.

I spent about $50 on groceries. Then, as a special treat, I took the kids to taco bell (where they behaved angelically!) Taco Bell was about $7.00 I don't, which never seemed so expensive! Friday night Paul and I went to Pizza Hut for dinner. I think we spent about $10.00 including tip. (We used to order a large pizza so we could have leftovers, this time we went with a small).

The other food expense we acquired occurred on our camping trip this weekend (which I plan to post about on the other blog). We did not bring marshmallows or chocolate (although we did have graham crackers), so we bought some from the camp store. Paul doesn't remember exactly how much so I am guessing about $3.00. Although knowing camp stores, it could have been $20.00.

So 50 + 7 + 10 + 3 = 70. I am going to try to save most of this for our meat buying budget.

Also, I had an interesting conversation with Sammy's dietician about food stamps yesterday. It turns out that most of her patients are on food stamps (children of the poor are more likely to be malnourished). Well most of the mothers either can't or won't cook and do not plan ahead. So they buy all already prepared/prepackaged food. Then they run out of money after about two weeks. So they either don't eat or go to the food pantry for the rest of the month.

This is really sad. There must be a solution here. It is one thing when adults are the victims of their own foolish behavior, but it really gets to me when the children have to suffer.

No comments: