Monday, May 28, 2007

Recipes?

We seem to minimize the use of that word around here. For some crazy reason it is too much associated with work.

For the Confirmation/Graduation party last Sunday, Mom cooked enough food to last us for quite awhile. And enough bakery to last for an extra day or two.

Most of it however, runs along the lines of Shae's post for brownies. In fact, we used that same recipe. Also Rice Crispie Treats (see directions on either cereal box or marshmellow bag), & no-bake cheesecake (read box... I think this was the one thing I actually made). There were also 2 apple pies from Perkins (courtesy of gift certificates from blood drives). We picked the pies up Saturday before going out running (we were going to do it the other way, but the rain rearranged our schedule). The rest of the trip, everytime we got into the car, I would comment on how good the pies smelled. When we got home I was talking about something else and used the phrase "easy as pie" without realizing the pun.

The warm weather causes my dad to run the AC. Mom is loathe to use the oven during the summer, she tries to keep baking to the slow cooker and toaster oven. Or has dad grill hamburgers outside.

The one thing we made that I can guess a recipe for would be stuffed peppers. These were made in the slow cooker, which in our household is a rectangular-shaped container. A vague approximation of the recipe is as follows:
Cut green peppers in half.
Peppers will be stuffed with a mixture of rice and ground beef.
Cook enough rice for the # of peppers you wish to make.
Mix rice and uncooked (or cooked) beef.
Place mixture into peppers.
Cover base of cooking container in sauce.
Place peppers in container.
Cook until done. If beef was not originally cooked, make sure it is cooked.

Mom usually does not cook the ground beef. However, when I asked if she needed it cooked, I heard a response of "yes." The problem was, she heard the question as "should I leave this out?" as opposed to "should I cook this?" Luckily for me, she decided that since the meat was still frozen, it was just as well to cook it in advance so she wouldn't have to worry about whether or not it was done.

Well, I think that's all the talking about food I'll do for the time being. I see leftovers for dinner for the next few nights, but that was one idea while it was all being cooked for the party.

No comments: