Thursday, May 10, 2007

Quick update

as this was all my fault to begin with, and I feel like a heel for not following up with it. ><

(I had this entire paragraph that apparently got deleted accidentally when I went to edit it. I blame the touchpad.) As the parents (both sets) are coming by for the weekend, the only thing on my brain lately has been something like "EWCLEANING" and what-not. The lack of motivation was evident. This weekend, though, we'll be barbecuing steaks and ordering pizza from the local Brunos (they make BIG pizzas). I'm thinking of making ice cream tiramisu (courtesy of the latest Woman's Day) for the horde, but I'm at a loss as to what to serve for Friday. My brother doesn't like fish, and we'd thought fish would be a nice thing to have so people won't overload on beef this weekend... (variety and all). Maybe I'll make adobo.

Adobo (Filipino recipe):


1 1/2 lb chicken or pork (it can be cut up before or after cooking, my mom likes to use drumsticks)
1/2 cup soy sauce
8 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tsp MSG (that's monosodium glutamate, optional)
1-3 bay leaves, depending on size, for flavor only

Mix everything in a pot and let marinate for ~30 minutes. Cook over low heat for about 45 min., or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Take care not to let the sauce cook completely out. Serve with white rice (take the leaves out when ready to serve).

paraphrased from my sister's rendition of the recipe. The time I tried this I used a slow cooker and forgot the oyster sauce, but it still makes for a good meal, if you want something different. Follow the slow cooker's directions for timing on meats (6-8 hours on low) for that version.

Anyway, time to read backlog. ><

(Shae should totally let 'Manda take part ^^ - back to reading backlogs.)

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I don't think I've ever had ice cream tiramisu. But it sounds good.

It promises to be an interesting weekend... Speaking of cooking, I can only imagine that old joke will not die. Where would the fun in that be?

Shae said...

Manda should have received an invite to post. I haven't heard anything from her. So, Manda, if you're reading this let me know if you've gotten the email. If not I'll try again.

Is there anything you can substitute for oyster sauce? Paul's allergic to seafood.

roerte said...

I believe you can actually omit it if you don't want to put it in. The flavors of soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves and garlic do a fine job of keeping the chicken tasty.