Thursday, May 3, 2007

Meatballs

I am in the mood to make meatloaf. This is a rather strange thing really, especially since I am not in the mood to eat meatloaf. That's okay though. Sometimes I make meatloaf and then freeze it for a later time when I don't have time to cook. However, I realized that this wasn't such a good idea when I saw that we were out of the aluminum foil disposable baking pans. So I figured I will make meatballs instead (as soon as I am done with this post). Meatballs are basically the same a meatloaf only rolled into balls instead of in a pan.

Recipe:

Gather the following ingredients.

1.5 lbs ground beef
1/2 onion finely chopped
1/4 cup celery finely chopped
1/4 cup carrots finely chopped
1/4 cup green pepper finely chopped
1/4 cup ketchup (or spaghetti sauce)
1/4 cup mustard (prepared)
2 large eggs
1 cup rolled oats
dashes of seasonings, per your preference (suggestions: basil, oregano, thyme, garlic, sage, chili powder)

Preheat oven to 400.

Roll into balls.

Place on a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes.

Note: I never actually measure anything, I just go by appearance. Feel free to do the same. If you are using extra lean ground beef you may want to add a small amount of milk.

To Freeze:

Leave meatballs on cookie sheet, and let them cool so they are not really hot. Place in the freezer. Once meatballs are frozen, remove them from the cookie sheet and place them in ziploc freezer bags (return to freezer promptly).

If you would rather a meatloaf, do not roll into balls. Place in loaf pan. Bake for about one hour.

2 comments:

Shae said...

this may take less time, my oven always seems to take forever. So keep an eye on them.

roerte said...

Ohhh, you bake them. I've always fried them, and once I tossed them into the slow cooker. I'm going to have to try out that recipe, though; it sounds yummy. ^_^