Friday, April 1, 2011

What is that.

I'd been meaning to try tofu a lot more, for whatever reason I can't think of at the moment. It's an interesting texture and filler, and I'm sure everyone else has figured out what to do with it. So far I've had it in miso soup, and fried, like in that picture, and I distinctly remember my mom trying to sneak some into fried rice once when I was in middle school - I did call her out on it, and she denied it vehemently, even after I looked in the fridge and found the extra tofu sitting in an open box.

Last week I was flipping through a bento cookbook (from the blogger at justbento.com, yes that book) trying to get motivated, and kept going back to a fried marinated tofu recipe. Then I went to justbento and went with a much simpler version, the agedashi-dofu. Except without the dashi. And without the horseradish. >.> So it was really just flour-coated tofu fried in a pan. Really.

This is because it was lunchtime, and I had no idea what to make for lunch. I pressed the tofu for about 30 minutes, dredged the cut-up pieces in flour, and fried them in a pan. It pro-o-bably needed more pressing, since they tended to pop a little when I tried to flip them over. The picture above is actually of the last four pieces leftover from lunch - I ended up cutting up a whole block of it and frying it all.

Result? Crispy nuggets with a kind of scrambled-egg innard. Pretty tasty if you pair it with a good sauce. I'm boring and ate it with soy sauce (and some leftover rice because that's how I am). The girls ate it up with ranch dressing, so I figure it's a success! ::thumbs-up::

Yes, ranch dressing. What? The four pieces left over didn't last long, either.

No comments: